Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

2000 Durango 4.7ltr check gauges light comes on and alternator

Customer Question
gauge drops to zero. I...
2000 Durango 4.7ltr check gauges light comes on and alternator gauge drops to zero. I replaced the battery and checked the 140amp generator fuse with an ohm meter (its fine). If I leave the engine off for a while the start it up the gauge comes back up and all seems well for a time then it drops again.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Chrysler
1/29/2009
Chrysler Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Technician replied 8 years ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician

You pretty well have only a few options for this problem.

One is the alternator is bad and not charging the battery.

The wiring going to the alternator may be broken/chaffed or have high resistance.

If these 2 things are ok then your PCM is likely at fault. The voltage regulation portion of the charging system is controlled by the PCM.

What and where is the PCM?

Sorry, the PCM is the Powertrain Control Module......aka engine computer.

It's mounted under the hood on the right inner fender.

graphic

I should also mention that when the gauge looks good I measure a healthy 14 volts at the battery with the engine running. When the gauge drops to zero I measure between ten and eleven volts at the battery with the engine running. so I don't thin I'm getting a faulty gauge reading. What puzzles me is that it seems to be intermittent. I would think a bad alternator would just be bad all of the time.

Yes you are correct in your thinking about the alternator.

I suspect you have a wiring issue or a bad PCM.

how much would a PCM be likely to cost? Would it be worth while to try replacing the alternator first?

The PCM's vary a bit in price depending on the application. Probably 6-900 dollars.

You are asking me to guess at replacing an alternator and I cannot suggest that.

Dollar for dollar you might be wise to have a shop diagnose this for you........it would be cheaper than buying an alternator if that is not the problem.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Thanks. I guess I'll have to bring it in. I was hoping to avoid that. I appreciate your advise and prompt reply.
Just thought I'd let you know. I replaced the alternator and that solved the problem. Thanks for all of your help.
You're welcome.
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician