Chrysler

Chrysler Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chrysler

Chrysler 300: hood release..I cannot get the hood open

Customer Question
I have a Chrysler 300...
I have a Chrysler 300 M - the hood release will not function and I cannot get the hood open. Any special releases that I can get at through the grill?.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Chrysler
1/2/2009
Chrysler Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The best way to open the hood is to have someone push down on it while you are pulling the cable. If need be then you will have to lay down under the front of the vehicle and reach up in there with a screwdriver and activate the latch, where the cable goes.

The only other way would be to get in there with a small wrench, (10mm) and undolt the latch itself. If you can access any part of the cable from under the hood, in the grill area, you can cut the outer housing and strip it to where you can grab the cable itself and pull on it, (while someone pushes down on the hood)

Jerry, Master Mechanic

Tryed to have someone help with the hood and the latch - that did not work.

Cannot gain access to the mechanism from under the car as the radiator and everything else is in the way.

I cannot seem to get at the bolts for the latch itself through the grill. I can see the u hook coming down from the hood to the latch and I can also manipulate the secondary release but nothing happens.

Reagy to take a crow bar or cats paw to it!!

What year is it?

Do you know if there were any recalls on the hood latch?

It's a 2001. I have never known of a recall.

Tim

No, that was on the 2004's

The only thing that I can think of would be to see if you can find a part of the cable that you can strip to maybe gain access to the inside, cable itself.

I take a look for the cable.
Ok
Jerry, Master Mechanic