Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am installing an aftermarket power door lock and keyless…

I am installing an...

I am installing an aftermarket power door lock and keyless entry kit in my 2006 chevy silverado 1500. I am having trouble locating the wires for the horn and the parking lights. I am trying to avoid going through the firewall if possible. I have already installed the door locks and the other wiring and everything works fine. I just need help finding those wires to connect to. Can you help me please?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Mechanic can help you locate the wires on your Silverado 1500. Would you like any additional help or materials?

I just need help finding the correct wires to tap into.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2006 Silverado 1500?

150,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Sure thing. Is there anything else the Chevy Silverado 1500 Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No thats it.

6/27/2022
Chevy Mechanic: J Hall, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
J Hall
J Hall, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to try and assist you in locating these wires.  Can you please send me the VIN off the vehicle so I can make sure to look up the correct information for you?

Thank you.  Be right back.

Is this pickup an LS or WT model?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im not sure. How do I look up that info?

It doesn't matter.  Did this kit you purchased come with instructions and a wiring diagram?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a wiring diagram and instructions on how to set the remote.

Can you send me a clear photo of the wiring diagram, please?

The reason I ask is because you are trying to modify an existing circuit to fit an aftermarket device, and I want to make sure you don't tap into any computer sensitive wires.  Be right back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

You will need to tap into the wiring for the horn inside the engine compartment.  The horn works off a relay that is controlled by the BCM.  You don't want to tap into any of those wires, so you will have to tap into the actual horn wiring under the hood.  You have to splice into those wires (two of them) and keep them intact.  They are both dark green.  One horn is on the right side (passenger side) of the radiator and other is on the left side of the radiator.  The horns have two different tones and are designed to work together to give the proper decibel and tonal quality.  Here is the wiring diagram for the horns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the only option for the horn? What about the parking lights? I am trying to stay inside of the cab, if I can.

You can't stay in the cab for the horns.  I'm trying to see what you can do for the turn signals/brake lights.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

You won't be able to stay in the cab for the parking lights either.  Your instructions say to tap into the turn signals, but that is not possible due to computer issues (again with the BCM).  You will have to tap into the wiring directly past the fuses for the parking lights at the underhood fuse box.  Here is the diagram for that.  This is not going to be any easy modification.  But most mods are not easy.  Make sure you disconnect the battery negative cable before starting any of this work to avoid damaging sensitive electrical components.  Without being there, this is the best I can do for you.  I hope it helps.  I wish you all the best on this project.  Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any helpful advice on how to get the wires through the firewall?

You just have to look for an appropriate place.  Crawl around under the dash on the driver side and follow the wire looms to see where they go through the firewall.   If there is a rubber gasket, you can use a thin, sharp tool to push a hole, or the wires, through without breaking the seal.  That's the best I have.

J Hall
J Hall, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help.

It has been my pleasure.  Good luck.