Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LT w/ 2.5 and 6T40 automatic

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LT...

2013 Chevrolet Malibu LT w/ 2.5 and 6T40 automatic transmission. Diagnosed a faulty input speed sensor. Disassembled valve body to replace the sensor. Went ahead and replaced the output sensor since I had it apart. After reassembling the transmission the vehicle starts but does not shift into gear when selected. I can run the shifter through every gear but the vehicle appears to stay in neutral. Inspected the shift cable assembly on top of the transmission to see if perhaps it was broken or damaged and it appears to be fine as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this the first time you've had trouble shifting? How old is the transmission?

This is the first time. Transmission is original to the vehicle.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2013 Chevy Malibu?

Approximately 115,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chevy Malibu Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I believe that is all

6/24/2022
Chevy Mechanic: BrianB3250,
 replied 1 month ago
BrianB3250
Hi im Brian with just answer. Im a 25 year master automotive technician. Im very sorry to hear that you are having some concerns with your vehicle today. I will be helping you try to get these concerns resolved. You will be recieving an option for a phone call if you would like this option please let me know, if not text is perfectly fine. Can i ask who i have the pleasure of speaking with today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My name is Jake
Chevy Mechanic: BrianB3250,
 replied 1 month ago

Hello jake.  Looking over your question it looks like during the repair process when the valve body was removed that the shift lever section was not installed properly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Interesting, I paid close attention to putting everything back in the same way I took it out. Is there a detailed schematic of the orientation of the shift lever section?
Chevy Mechanic: BrianB3250,
 replied 1 month ago

So typically it’s the valve body that the shift cable or arm is not connected properly.  You you should be able to get diagnostic or installation instructions on Mitchell manual.com.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this would be the linkage that is mounted to the top of the the transmission case.?Somehow its connected internally and while reinstalling the valve body that connection did not get reestablished?
Chevy Mechanic: BrianB3250,
 replied 1 month ago

So the valve body replacement seems to be the factor In The concern being caused so it has to be something that was not installed or connected properly during the repairs.  Hopefully this helps you out.  Let me know if you have any questions please ask.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you.
Chevy Mechanic: BrianB3250,
 replied 1 month ago
Your very welcome.  Thank you for using just answer. Hopefully i was helpful today with answering all of your questions. If there is ever anything i can assist you with please fell free to ask. Thank you have a wonderful rest of your day. Brian.
BrianB3250