Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Parasitic drain. I pulled fuse 73 and amperage dropped. A…

Parasitic drain. I pulled...

Parasitic drain. I pulled fuse 73 and amperage dropped

Mechanic's Assistant: When did the damage occur? Are you planning on fixing the damage yourself?

Yes a few months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your GM?

2013 chevy express 3500 4.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I have back up camera flip down monitor multiple charging ports handi cap lift and ypgraded stereo

10/26/2021
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago
ChristianH1123

Hey I'll be happy to help you out with this and sorry you're seeing that draw. That fuse powers the cigarette lighter and the power outlet number 1 in the center console. So I would start by unplugging each one at a time to see if the draw drops off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did. Fuse #73 is the problem
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

Right, I saw you say that, I mean you need to pull the connector from the cigarette lighter and the number one power outlet in the console one at a time while monitoring the amperage draw to see if one of them causes the amperage to drop? That will tell us if it's a component, the cigarette lighter or the power outlet, or if they don't, then we know it's a harness problem or a fuse block issue. How high of a draw was it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like .5ampsWhat power outletI have 2 cigarette lighters on the dash. Right now both are working with out the fuse inAre you able to take a phone call
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

I can but JustAnswer requires an additional fee. So that's completely up to you. I hate the extra charge but it's not up to us. So there's a short in the harness then to power for one of those that's powering them both and keeping that alive all the time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a wheel chair ramp on the van as well. I'm thinking that is tied in to the circuit somewhereWhat light does #73 control and what else does it powerI notice it said ltr/dlc
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you install that or have it installed? That's very possible, though I could obviously not say for sure. It just powers the lighter, power outlet, which may be the other lighter, and provides the power link to the data link connector, that's the DLC, and it's where the OBD2 port is for the scanner to connect to. It runs the red with a white stripe to that connector on pin 16, so the last pin.

Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

See the attached diagrams for the diagram from Chevy on that power circuit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not letting me open itOk
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thx
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a normal amp draw for this van when everything is off
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

Less than 85mA is the spec. After everything has settled down and no lights or anything electric is still on of course.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have like .35
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

So 350mA?

Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

That will definitely run the battery down, as I'm sure you know. Did you check the wiring on the diagrams I sent earlier to find where the power supply is coming from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked at themI'm going to take it to a shop in the morning
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

Ah, ok, nothing obvious shorting to it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NoI think something is wired wrong plus its dark out now
Chevy Mechanic: ChristianH1123,
 replied 1 year ago

Not a problem, let me know if you need anything else on this going forward!

ChristianH1123
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thx