Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I replaced my 2014 Chevy malibus battery about a week ago, I…

Customer Question
I replaced my 2014...

I replaced my 2014 Chevy malibus battery about a week ago, I have been having issues to where by voltage will go all the way to 14.4-14.6v while parked but as soon as I start driving it starts dropping down to about 12.4v. I have had my alternator tested and it’s showing normal. Any idea what this could be?

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the alternator belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed?

I haven’t looked at it, I had it tested at a shop and they poked around but didn’t see anything array, could this have an effect with voltage?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2014 Malibu?

83,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

We changed some cam shaft parts before my battery when died the first time, but doubt that would have much to do with it-

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Chevy
10/26/2021
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 year ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your vehicle. I'm Eric. I will be happy to assist you with your question. May I ask to whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chelsea

Hi Chelsea! Nice to see you today! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. I know this can be frustrating.
Please give me a moment to type out some information for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Hi Chelsea

Yours has a couple of electronic components for the charging system that can affect the voltage charging.

The first is the battery current sensor on the negative battery cable. It sends a signal to the engine computer showing voltage at the battery, which the 2nd component, the engine control module uses to command the alternator to increase or decrease voltage output.

There is a fault in either the battery current sensor or the engine control module and will need to be tested either by a GM dealer or an auto electrical specialist that understands this type of charging system

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the battery current sensor have an issue with being lose? Cause it did have to be tightened up the other day and my car acted right the rest of that day.

Hi Chelsea

As it is part of the negative battery cable, it is was loose, that would cause an issue with the battery sensor reading the voltage at the battery correctly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ofcourse I’ve had it looked at professionally and the battery seems to be hooked up correctly now. I didn’t start having this issues til I changed my battery from the original GM one. I do have an AGM battery but don’t know if that would affect anything

HI Chelsea

That would not affect anything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When having the camshaft sensors replaced, I believe they may have taken the ground off last instead of first, would this have caused any issues other than obviously danger to them?

Hi Chelsea

The worst that would have not is set it into antitheft mode where it would not start until the relearn procedure was done. But that would be it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, just checking. I haven’t had any other issues that would indicate that it might be the electronic control module, so my guess would be the sensor on the negative terminal like you stated before. Would that be purely the GM dealership that could change that or could it be a mechanic that I’m used to?

Hi Chelsea

While the part is a dealer item, meaning it will need to be bought thru their parts department, any shop can do the actual repair

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you so much!! I’ll look into this info and get my car to a mechanic soon-

You're welcome, Chelsea! Glad I could be of some help today! I hope everything works out well for you! If there are any additional questions on this issue that should arise, please feel free to reply and ask!
Have a great day!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your questions!