Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Engine stall when I turn on air conditioning. Compressor…

Engine stall when I...

Engine stall when I turn on air conditioning

Mechanic's Assistant: The Chevy Mechanic will know what to do about your air condition. Do you have any other details that could be helpful?

Compressor still blows cold air prior to engine stall

6/29/2021
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
John M.
Hello, my name is***** you for using Just Answer. It will be my pleasure working with you today.What is the year make and model of the vehicle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello John, I appreciate your help. It's a 2013 Chevy Malibu
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you. Have you had the A/C serviced recently?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't had any maintenance done to the A/C
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
A common problem with Chevys is that when the A/C compressor gets older the bearings wear out and when the compressor engages it creates too much drag for the engine to handle at idle or low rpms and therefore stalls the engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's the same thing I was thinking. I actually did have to swap out a compressor because I noticed a leak right after I bought the vehicleWould the IAC cause any issues?
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
Well first I would suggest taking it in and have a shop just check the Freon level and make sure it’s at the proper level. If it is it’s most likely time for an A/C compressor replacementNo the IAC won’t affect this at all
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good. That would also explain the loss of throttle.
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
it definitely would. Does it make any weird sounds?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the fan engaging.
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, then yeah in my opinion, it’s probably time for a new compressor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good. I'll check to see if there's enough refrigerant and go from there. I appreciate the help
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
Of course! Please let me know how things turn out!
John M.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Absolutely!
Chevy Mechanic: John M.,
 replied 1 year ago
Thanks!