Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I would also like to disable On - Star tracking and GPS on…

I would also like...

I would also like to disable On - Star tracking and GPS on my 2018 Silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '18 Chevy?

Silverado LT 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, tried unhooking some plugs followed a YouTube video but lost SiriusXM

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the fee???

11/16/2020
Chevy Mechanic: BRIAN, ASE Master Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
BRIAN
BRIAN, ASE Master Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to assist you today. Like you, I am a user of this website and as
such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.
I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience
here worth 5 stars! I do not know your experience or the tools you have available. I am around most
days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next
online. Phone call requests are automatically sent by the website. They are not sent by me. I am
happy to call or chat. You may accept phone call requests or ignore them.
I am reviewing your issue and will reply in a moment.

Hi

I am sorry but I have bad news for you. The same antenna used for GPS is also part of the satellite radio system. Yes, the radio system satellites are not the same as the GPS satellites but they use the same signal. In addition to losing the radio, you will also lose the navigation signal. There is really one true way to disable OnStar tracking without losing functions. Remove the OnStar modules and then replace the radio system with an aftermarket.

I am sorry for this news. Car manufacturers have been moving to integrated systems for a while and now if one little thing is changed it will affect others.

If you have more questions or comments please reply here.

Have a wonderful rest of your week!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very mechanically inclined ( not as much as you ) but do most of own repairs and was an auto dismantler for years. Brother owns his shop 40 yrs.

Have you considered losing the factory Sirus and adding in a Sirus module to bypass the issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still reading don't really care about GPS I don't want that at all no navigation I have my own Garmin with all my customers in itThis Factory integration is outright violation of our privacy rights and I've been fighting against has 911 freaking crap since it started

Got it. So what you can do is leave the truck as is. You will lose the radio but you can gain it back with this :

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV300v1-Connect-Satellite-Streaming/dp/B00NJTO4CY

That way you can have the best of both worlds. No Onstart tracking and Sirus radio!

BRIAN
BRIAN, ASE Master Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me a while to think about this and look at that Amazon kid on the desktop so I get a better picture of itThanks for all your honesty and help I'll get back with you if needed

No problem Sir. Anytime. Also, there are many other add-in options, not just the one I linked. Was just trying to give you an example. Happy to to help further as needed!!

Have a great day!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
55357;�