HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  30 years Auto experience, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2010 Chevy impala and it wont go into drive or

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Chevy impala and it wont go into drive or reverse the tires seem to be lock
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: There about a year old .how ever when we lift the car the tires spin but when we put it down they won't go anywhere
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I check the transmission fluid I took off the axels and there still good I check
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at the moment
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is ***** ***** I am here to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your vehicle. I will do my best to give you the answer you are looking for. Please allow me a few minutes in between our responses to review your information. I may ask several questions to get more details about your problem. While you are waiting for me to respond I am looking up the workshop manuals and wiring diagrams needed to answer your concerns.

The website will prompt a phone call automatically, not me. So please don't let this automatic service prompt annoy you.If you prefer to talk verses type then please use the phone call option.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 days ago.

Hello, did the transmission fluid look or smell burnt? Is the shifter linkage moving when you move the shifter but it wont move in any gear? No warning lights are on?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Fluid looks good .I don't know if shifter linkage moves cause I'm doing it myself .and warning lights are on .it wont even move when I try to push it on drive or neutral
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 days ago.

Ok, Set the parking brake and chock the wheels if it is on an incline, With the engine off, make sure the shift cable is moving the linkage, if not you have a shifter cable issue. If it moves but the trans wont go in gear, then it would be a major internal failure. A trans will always have one forward gear and reverse if the electronic system failed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry I'm not at my shop right now it late but will get back with you I. the morning
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 days ago.

No problem just respond when you can. I will be working myself and will respond when I get a chance during the work day when I see your response.