Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Key won’t unlock, outside handle moves nothing, inside

Customer Question
Key won’t unlock...

Key won’t unlock , outside handle moves nothing , inside handle feels like it works but inside lock is not unlocking

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes but I have had the door panel off before

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2006 not electric

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am I have tried working the key outside and the lock inside at same time, also sitting inside and using the inside handle and my feet on door

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

A few days ago I had the driver side front tire jacked up and needed to open the door the guy helping me pulled so hard to open it the outside handle came loose on the inside

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
4/13/2020
Chevy Mechanic: AutoDoc1, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
AutoDoc1
AutoDoc1, ASE Certified Technician

Hi! My name is AutoDoc1. I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem.

Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern, so I appreciate your patience.

If the door won't open then the latch may be broken or the linkage has come off. It is possible that the latch can be manually opened if you can access the latch. This can be done with special tools that automotive locksmiths have. If that doesn't work then your only option will be to take the door panel off. This will prove to be difficult with the door closed and will likely result in the door panel breaking. Once you get the panel off, you can try to manually open the latch. If that doesn’t work then you will have to cut the latch in half to release it from the striker so that you can open the door. Sometimes the latch can become stuck and you can pull the door handle and try forcing the door open while the handle is pulled. Sometimes this will unjam the latch and the door will open.

My goal is to earn a 5 star rating experience. If you have any follow up questions, please feel free to hit the "Reply" button below. If I’m not online at the time, I will respond ASAP when I get back. You can also request me in the future for any additional questions by starting your question with “For AutoDoc1 ONLY”. Have a great day and thank you again for choosing JustAnswer!