Kyle
Kyle, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Expert
108127866

I have a 2019 sliverado 1500 6.2 liter with the 10 speed

Customer Question

I have a 2019 sliverado 1500 6.2 liter with the 10 speed transmission with cylinder shut down. Shit!
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: Question about 6.2 liter. When it drops cylinders under light load how will that affect the exhaust note at highway speeds. If I put a performance muffler (magnaflo) What are the ramifications and will the sound be crappy?Thanks.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I will have a shop do the work. How about removing the resonators for a little more motor sound?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kyle replied 11 days ago.
Hi there, ASE Master Tech Kyle here to assist you with your vehicle. I Have a 2014 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 and do not notice any difference in noise really when driving down the highway. Before or after my performance exhaust installed. I have also never really noticed anything strange when driving customer cars with a different exhaust.I would say to have the shop you are going to have install the exhaust do it at a factory flange that way the install can be reversible if you decide you do not like the way it sounds.If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know and I will gladly be able to help out. Thanks for using Just Answers.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Wrong engine, wrong year. I have a 2019 1500 silverado W/the 6.2 liter and 10 speed trans and cylinder drop. At speed and cylinders are dropped, with a louder exhaust Ive been told by muffler guys it will sound like an old pan head. How about just eliminating the resonators? Is there a way to not have cylinders dropped without reprogramming. Still under warrantee.
Expert:  Kyle replied 11 days ago.
I also have similar specs. But No way to do that not under warranty. Not really recommended for gas mileage reasons. You will get 3-4mpg with cylinder shut down. Also these exhausts sound really raspy like a straight pipe when you remove the resonators, So I highly do not recommend that.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for your input.
Expert:  Kyle replied 11 days ago.
No problem. If you thought this was helpful I would appreciate it if you would please leave a review.