Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I've got a 2007 chevy avalanche that has had a lifter fail i…

I've got a 2007...

I've got a 2007 chevy avalanche that has had a lifter fail i went the cheap route the first round and just replaced the one lifter and bought and installed a range tech obd2 to keep it from continuing to switch from v8 mode into v4 mode but that doesn't seem to have done the trick and now I'm about to tear it down again

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Chevy?

Avalanche

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I've got a friend who is a capable mechanic but we are both learning about chevys fuel management and dod systems for the first time

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Chevy start—same as usual?

We have done the physical part of disabling the fuel management or dod system and have learned that it also needs a "tune" in order for the computer to have the proper information to run right ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

My question is do I need to replace the cam in order for the fix to be right ?

2/24/2020
Chevy Mechanic: MICHAEL, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
MICHAEL
MICHAEL, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mike, thanks for giving us the opportunity to help with your question. Sorry to hear you are having issues with the DOD system. Its definitely not the way you want to spend a thousand dollars. As far as the camshaft goes it is about a 50-50 if it was damaged or not. In my opinion amd for saftey sakes I would replace it. Especially since you are capable of doing the work yourself and not having to pay shop labor rates for it. Please if there are any other questions while doing the job let me know. I am here to help. Also as far as the tune on the ECM. I have heard very positive feedback on the big bear tunes. I personally have never used one. So far all of our customers have elected to perform the tunes themselves after the repair or leave it at stock operation.
MICHAEL
MICHAEL, ASE Certified Technician