AutoDoc1
AutoDoc1, ASE Master Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
104489976

Fuel coming out exhaust and into oil,very excessive,but runs

Customer Question

Fuel coming out exhaust and into oil,very excessive,but runs good
JA: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Chevy start—same as usual?
Customer: Starts good,uses way too much,nearly 1gal per mile
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 96 half ton 4 wh suburban 350 motor
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced left bank of fuel sensors before and after exhaust Had the injection system checked
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AutoDoc1 replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is AutoDoc1 and I will be able to assist you. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer.

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem.

My goal is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible.

The most common problem for this issue is the fuel pressure regulator. If is mounted to the metering body under the upper intake plenum. What happens is the diaphragm inside breaks and instead of the intake pulling vacuum on the regulator, it sucks the fuel out of the metering body under the intake. Of course you would need to test it to verify this is the problem but it is a very common issue on this engine.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you show me a diagram of where it is located
Expert:  AutoDoc1 replied 11 days ago.

Let me see if I have a diagram. One moment please...

Expert:  AutoDoc1 replied 11 days ago.

Please see attached diagrams. One shows the regulator. On the diagram that shows the injectors, I put a red arrow that points to the regulator location.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How do I test it
Expert:  AutoDoc1 replied 11 days ago.

You will use a vacuum pump and try to pull a vacuum on the vacuum port for the regulator. If it holds vacuum then it is working normally. If not, it is bad.