Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need to change an oil filter on Chevrolet Captiva. I think…

Hi there! I need...

Hi there! I need to change an oil filter on Chevrolet Captiva.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

I think smth around 9k miles away

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Captiva?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Captiva yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm trying to fix the car on my own. So far I am just planning the work and want to know the procedure and evertyhing, what is required

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine is 2.2 diesel and the car is AWD

7/23/2019
Chevy Mechanic: relicdigger3, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
relicdigger3
relicdigger3, ASE Certified Technician
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Captiva. In order to change the oil filter you will need an oil filter wrench. The wrench will help you unscrew it and remove it. It's important that the new filter is tightened by hand and not with the wrench because you could damage the filter.
Can you tell me the amount of oil needed and the sequence of actions to change the oil in the car ?
You will need 5 quarts of oil. The first thing you have to do is unscrew the drain plug from the oil pan and let the oil drain out. Once the oil has drained out you can reinstall the drain plug and tighten it snug. Now you can unscrew your oil filter with your wrench and remove it. Screw on the new filter and hand tighten only. Make sure the drain plug and oil filter are not loose and clean any excess oil that may have spilled along side the engine. Now you can unscrew the oil cap at the top of the engine and pour in the oil. A funnel will make this easier. After you have fill the engine with oil start the vehicle for 5 seconds and turn it off. Now pull the dipstick and make sure the oil is at the recommended level. If it is you can start the car and check for leaks. That is it.
I heard, that there are two types of oil filters for the 2.2 diesel Captiva. How can I check what type of oil filter do I need ?
The auto parts store should be able to identify the specific oil filter for that engine. They made need the VIN for accuracy.
relicdigger3
relicdigger3, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you.