Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have oil on the right front fender well and the inner side…

I have oil on...

I have oil on the right front fender well and the inner side of my rt front wheel as well as down the side of the vehicle?? A friend who is a diesel mechanic told me it could be a bad differential seal??

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Less than 3000 miles ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 Trailblazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TrailBlazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

No....going to take it to a local repair shop but don't want to pay for unnecessary repairs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Maybe an estimate for the time required to make the repairs.

12/17/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Michael Broughton
Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic

Welcome, this is Michael, I am an actual mechanic and I repair vehicles daily. I am reviewing your question, and I'll reply back in a moment.

good morning, is this trailblazer a 4x4?

good deal, so your friend is likely describing the leak as coming from your right front output shaft seal, i'm going to look up the part and book time for repair and get you an approx estimate.

ok, so with the skidplate the time is 2.2 hours, 2.0 w/out a skidplate. the part cost around $30 and so your estimate will depend on two things, 1) labor rate in your area, and 2) if your friend is correct about it being the RF output shaft seal. labor rate nationally runs $85-$150 per hour and in large cities can be even higher. for most if us labor will be around $100 and hour so expect this repair to cost you in the $250-$300 range (all of course depending on the conditions of your vehicle and repair. be mindful that a lot of shops will require at least .5 hour for a leak determination so that would add another $50 to that if they require it.

Michael Broughton
Michael Broughton, Auto Mechanic