Chevy

I have a 1989 Camaro IROC Z28 5 speed manual transmission.

I have a 1989...

I have a 1989 Camaro IROC Z28 5 speed manual transmission. When I bought the car it had a second set of keys that didn't have the security chip in it. I used this key by mistake and I can't get it out of the ignition switch.. The car actually cranked but after turnin it off I can't get the key out of the ignition switch.... Read full answer

I have a 1989 Camaro IROC Z28 5 speed manual transmission. When I bought the car it had a second set of keys that didn't have the security chip in it. I used this key by mistake and I can't get it out of the ignition switch.. The car actually cranked but after turnin it off I can't get the key out of the ignition switch. I do have a key with the the security chip. How do I get the key that is stuck in the ignition out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No problem shifting

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I sprayed WD40 in the switch and tried wiggling and pulling on the key with with no results

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all

8/26/2018
Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician

Hi, Welcome to JA!

I'm , Russ-(Doctor-D), a senior Expert here at JA and will be reviewing your case and offering my assistance.

Give me a few minutes to look up common issues and bulletins.

Also please provide me Model year, engine size and any/all info as well as previous repairs you feel relevant to this case...

~ A blast from the past, my favorite car back then!

Will it rotate to off at all?

No it will rotate forward some. 1989 Camaro IROC Z28 convertible 305 TBI 5 speed manual transmission, no repairs since I have had it.

You need a new lock cylinder. See attached procedure PDF.

Our Discount price for the part is CLICK HERE.

You will take the blank key in the new part , along with your current keys to the dealer and get NEW keys cut with your same key code. For the new cylinder to start the car.

PS.

Replacing the Lock cylinder is NOT easy, you may be safer to pay someone to do it. Special tools are required.

The labor is about 2.5 Hours professionally

Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician

Keep that thing mint! I would die to own that car :) ~ Thank you for your support!

Thank you for trusting Just Answer for your Question.

This is a Q&A service not a diagnostic service.. I can give you professional advice, which includes Factory Bulletins, Recalls & Instruction. I can give you 30+ years of Professional Experience /Advice. If your condition is common we can actually often repair your vehicle. However its up to you and your ability to test and relay communication as to whether you can properly diagnose your vehicle. Please rate your expert as to answering your questions in a professional manner. Only you can fix your vehicle, as we are unable to perform the testing and see the subjects ourselves. Only with a positive rating can we be compensated for our time helping you achieve this goal.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
The cats system on my 96 Z28 Camaro this is not allowing my
The cats system on my 96 Z28 Camaro this is not allowing my car to turn on not even the light security light on the Dash turns on … read more
adam warren
adam warren
Master auto tec,
I have a 2001 chevy Malibu, car has passlock security
I have a 2001 chevy Malibu, car has passlock security system...there is no chip or transponder in key...I have a red "theft system" light on, indicating a security system problem...can't get yellow "security" light to flash, so I can do the re-learn procedure...original problem was ignition switch stuck in "start" position...car started, starter was grinding until I got the car in gear...drove it home, but none of the accessories(windows, heater, radio, etc)worked...normal, considering the ignition switch was stuck in "START" position pulled ignition wires to turn car off...replaced ignition switch and key, re-learn procedure was successful...then old battery went bad...installed new battery. Now, have "theft system " light car runs...NO accessories work...theft-locked, somehow? HELP... … read more
eric remington
eric remington
FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR,
associates degree
Chevrolet Camaro: Replaced battery and starter in 94 Camaro
Replaced battery and starter in 94 Camaro Z28. Car will not turn over. Does not click. Husband was able to get underneath and get it to turn over but it would not fully fire. Outside lights and radio … read more
Gary
Gary
Chevy Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Chevrolet iroc=Z28: Hi there I have a 1989 chev camaro iroc-Z28,
Hi there I have a 1989 chev camaro iroc-Z28, it has been converted to right hand drive over 10 years ago. after going for a drive i parked the car for 30 mins when i went to put the car away it would … read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Chevrolet Technician,
Camaro: car and the security light came..car wont..wont start.
We just bought a beautiful well maintained 1989 Iroc Z28 Camaro with 32,000 original miles on it. We have had the car 4 days and on day 2 went to start the car and the security light came on and the c… read more
ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl
Lead Auto Tech,
Some college and advanced training
1990 Camaro Iroc-Z: Replaced Starter..ignition switch..power
1990 Camaro Iroc-Z 305 CID. Replaced Starter and ignition switch. Cannot get power to the starter. All lights and accessories come on but when turn key to start position---NOTHING.… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Chevrolet Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2000 cavalier: I parked it last night, it was fine..wheel column
I have 2000 cavalier. I parked it last night, it was fine, however when I pulled into my spot I turned the wheel hard left and turned the engine off in that position. This morning, when I went to use … read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
Sales Manager,
Camaro: running great..turn key..No gauges or my miles light comes on
My 1997 Z28 Camaro has been running great until I went to start it and nothing. The only thing working when I turn key to the run position is the radio and air. No gauges or my miles light comes on. W… read more
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master
Automotive College
96 camaro z28: postion and fuel pump..injectors pusle..car running
have a 96 camaro z28 turn on key in to start postion and fuel pump stays running and injectors pusle with out car running. i have checked all grounds and powers with no luck. i have wiggled wires and … read more
Matt J
Matt J
Owner of Jones Automotive,
how to remove, and install ignition lock cylinder on 1986 camaro
how to remove, and install ignition lock cylinder on 1986 camaro Iroc-z z28. I'm trying to get past the pin that keeps it locked in. I've the steering wheel off. I can't get past the steering coloum l… read more
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
Chevy Technician,
BYPASS..ANTI-THEFT..THE FACTORY STEREO..FUEL PUMP RELAY
HOW DO YOU BYPASS THE ANTI-THEFT RELAY AFTER REPLACING THE FACTORY STEREO IN A 1989 IROC Z28? REPLACED WITH PIONEER SYSTEM BUT DIDN'T USE ANY OF THE ORIGINAL WIRING HARNESS.NOW THE CAR WILL NOT START.… read more
JHoop
JHoop
Owner,Technician,
94 camaro Z28: security light..wait about 3 min until the light goes
I have a 94 camaro Z28, the security light will go on when I try to start the car I have to wait about 3 min until the light goes out before the car will start. Some times it might take 3 cycles befor… read more
Travis
Travis
Stop searching for answers—
Camaro: popped..new key..ignition switch, he says..running great
I was test driving a 95 Z28 Camaro, all of the sudden it died out and all the security lights popped up. When tried to start it back up the car would not recognize the key. The owner then got a new ke… read more
JOHN
JOHN
camaro: it wont start put a new starter..wont work..dash lights..gages
i have a 1994 z28 camaro bought it sunday brought it home washed it turned it around in my drive and now it wont start put a new starter in still wont start put new battery in key fob hopeing it was t… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Chevrolet Technician,
1992 chevy camaro rs: previous owner..ignition switch..wouldnt start
I have a 1992 chevy camaro rs that was stolen from previous owner the ignition switch is messed up so you have to be careful when taking key out so the wires dont come loose...Anyways, one of the wire… read more
GM Master Tech 01
GM Master Tech 01
GM certified diesel master tech
1987 Camaro: onboard diagnostic chip..Z28..performance chip
I would like to know the location of the onboard diagnostic chip on a 1987 Camaro IROC Z28 and how to replace it with a hypertech stage 2 performance chip… read more
marc
marc
fleet supervisor,
1997 camaro Z28: security light..a problem with the ignition switch
Hi I just bought a 1997 camaro Z28 that will not start, the key turns on but will not turn the engine over. The security light is flashing I have checked everything and I am thinking that there is a p… read more
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
GM Service Training
1994 Chevy Camaro: with automatic transmission..ignition switch
I have a 1994 Chevy Camaro, 3.4 liter engine, with automatic transmission. The car will not start, and the word security is flashing on the instrument panel. This happened after the wrong key was inse… read more
BRAD
BRAD