Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1989 chevy camaro, when I drive the car for more…

Customer Question
I have a 1989...

I have a 1989 chevy camaro, when I drive the car for more then 20 minutes it starts to run at 220 degrees. I've put a 160 degree thermostat in it, and burped it properly. It's a brand new build just started overheating when temps outside started to reach 80 and up. I went to autozone and got a standard 160 degree thermostat do you think I need a hi flow one? and if not that what else could be my culprit. thankyou

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

No leaks no abundance in overflow

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself the thermostat change, I flushed it and cleaned the front of radiator. I know it's not a head gasket or water pump do to engine have less then 1000 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that's it thank you

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Chevy
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it's a 355ci with 350turbotrans
6/1/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago
Ivan Alvarez

Was anything upgraded with the new build like heads, valves, or intake?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
aluminum heads and a new eldebrock airgap intake and eldebrock 600 carb.
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

Are you running the stock radiator?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it's a 2 row with transcooler
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

How cool would it run before the build?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I got the car back in November. drove it in Feb. till now and it would cruise at 180. When temps outside were 30 to 65 degrees now that it's summer and it's 70 and up it's been overheating.
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

Does it actually boil over when you turn it off?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no the gauge on dash will show it's hot, but as far as boiling over no. nothing leaks and nothing changes in overflow. also there's no heater core or a.c. and when I let the car burp I can keep the cap off and it won't overheat but as soon as I put the cap on it starts to rise and overheat
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
it won't puke coolant everywhere either with cap off
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
hoses don't collapse the stay firm
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
big radiator fam shrouds complete and air dam is still there to push air on radiator as well
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

220 is not a dangerous temp for the engine. Especially with aluminum heads and intake. As long as it doesn't get above 230 you will be ok. It may just be the gauge that's off. I would suggest to get an infrared temp gun to double check actual temps. Check at the intake, heads and block. This will help determine if its an actual overheating problem or a gauge/sensor issue.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
thanks for the help, if I read with a infrared gun, and I check those areas. is outside temps same as inside. So if I point the gun on the block and it says 180 inside the engine is a 180 to? or would it be different?
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

Also check temps at the radiator. Once its fully warm run the temp gun slowly across the radiator from side to side and top to bottom. you should not notice a temp change more than 15 degrees. If you have some spots that are significantly cooler there is a restriction and I would recommend to replace the radiator at that point.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
okay, Well thank you Ivan I appreciate you're help
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 24 days ago

Your welcome. Temp guns are usually accurate. Just try to take readings at less than a foot away to get good readings. This post will stay open for seven days so you can message me once you have a chance to check that out.

Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 10 days ago

Just wondering what you found on the over heating problem.