Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Wont let me turn key. I can turn wheel all the way. Chevy…

Customer Question
Wont let me turn...

Wont let me turn key

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can turn wheel all the way

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Chevy 2005 malibu classic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Classic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have taken the radio out and.been hitting the switch. I charged battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But the security light that usually blinks isnt coming on at all

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Chevy
5/31/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 23 days ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

A key that will not turn with the steering not locked is going to be a worn out key or the ignition cylinder tumblers are worn. Do you get the same results with your spare key and when taping or jiggling the key?

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
same result with spare key

Worn out tumblers not able to retract and line up based on the ridges on your keys looks to be to blame here. A locksmith will need to drill it out and build a new cylinder to match your keys to repair this.

Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 20 days ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my INFO REQUEST / ANSWER in return for the fees you have already paid. I want those fees to benefit you and me. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent 5-star service you're pleased with, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.

Thanks, Chris