Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Batteries drain flat after a few hours. Batteries are

Customer Question
Batteries drain flat after...

Batteries drain flat after a few hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Batteries are healthy, same with alternator, I believe the glow plugs are sticking on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.6l duramax

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have checked the maxi fuse, and replaced it. I also replaced the glow plug controller since I believe it was sticking on, and also new glow plugs. Not sure why the battery still drains so fast. If I disconnect the fuse to the glow plugs the battery does not drain.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don’t believe so, maybe that the truck has 260k miles.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/30/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

When you say you remove the glow plug fuse are you referring to the inline fuse link to the glow plug relay or the 175 amp fuse from the battery to the glow plug relay?

Is the yellow wire to the glow plug relay powered with the key off?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my INFO REQUEST / ANSWER in return for the fees you have already paid. I want those fees to benefit you and me. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent 5-star service you're pleased with, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.

Thanks, Chris

I figured it out, IAH relay was sticking on intermittently.

Glad it is resolved.