Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replaced the battery and alternator. battery has 12.6 volts…

Replaced the battery and...

Replaced the battery and alternator. battery has 12.6 volts running with alternator I only have 11.7 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Checked all under hood fuses.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Chevy?

2011 chevy traverse

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced alternator and battery. checked grounding points. Could this be a bad battery current sensor?

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

With the battery installed, and the car off, I measured the voltage between the positive post on the alternator, and the ground post under the hood. I get the same voltage when measuring the voltage on the positive post on the under hood fuse box. I believe this means that the inline fuse is working. Let me know if that is a false assumption.

that the correct assumption

you need to do a continuity test on the orange wire and the gray wire from the alternator plug to the ECM connector X1 positions 10 and 30

hows it going?

The continuity test passed on both pins 10 and 30 to the correct wires on the alternator plug.

ok, then the ECM is the culprit

Is this a matter of re-flashing the ECM, or does it need replaced?
Also is there a good way to test the battery current sensor, to see if that is working?

it would need replaced, and let me find a good test for the current sensor

thanks for you patience, my household is nuts right now

hows it going?

I haven't had time to work on it for a while, but I finally got a new battery current sensor and a new ECM. The car still will not charge. The voltage will now go up a little if I rev it up to 4000 RPMs

ok, I'm not sure on this one then ...I will open it up to the others to chime in

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my nam is Tim, do you still need help with this?

Ok, the charging voltage is controlled by the PCM, powertrain control module, the main computer, it is done on the orange wire on th alternator, can you disconnect the alternator, and start it, and see if it has 3.5 volts on the orange wire when running?

are you still here?

I'm here. I got no voltage

ok, the you most likely have a bad PCM, have you checked that wire at the PCM for voltage?

Not yet. Where is that located?

It is on the driverside of the engine compartment

the orange wire will be on the pin 10 of the connector

Does the car have to be on? can I even start the car with the computer unplugged?Also My multi-meter stopped responding. I grabbed my other one, and re-checked the orange wire at the alternator. I'm getting 11.3 volts on that wire when compared to ground.

did you check that orange wire at the alternator, with the connector unplugged from the alternator, and the engine running?

the alternator was unplugged, and the engine was running.

ok, plug the connector back in, start it, and probe the orange wire at the alternator and see if the voltage drops on that wire when running?

This may be a stupid question, but how do I probe the wire for voltage when it's plugged in? The back of the connector is sealed. Would I need to strip part of the wire?

you must probe through the insulation of the wire,Tim

Okay, I need to get a probe for that. I'm going to run to the store. I'll check back when I have the voltage while running. It should be at 3.5v?
Okay. when unplugged and car running over 11V. With the car running and plugged in between 2 and 3 mV

Ok, this means there is a short to ground inside the alternator, where did you get the new alternator, was it new or rebuilt one?

This is a rebuilt one.

we see alot of problems with the rebuilt ones, this is the most difficult alternator to rebuild, but none the less, if the voltage drops to 2 to 3 mv's, there is a short to ground in the alternator, nothing else,Tim

Okay. Thanks.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH