Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We were driving down the highway and it just stopped it was…

Customer Question
We were driving down...

We were driving down the highway and it just stopped it was showing a change fuel filter message

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

It cranks but doesnt turn on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Its a 2015 chevrolet silverado duramax

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet just stopped a leak from the bottom of tje fuel filter

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/28/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago
Ivan Alvarez

H​ave you tried priming fuel system?

How is that
Its our first diesel truck and we just got it a couple weeks ago
Ok we will try that
It was leaking diesel from the bottom of the fuel filter
We tried that but the valve in the bottom is not working when we push on top and releases air diesel comes out drom the bottom of the filter
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

O​k then that will need to be replaced. If it leaks diesel the system will not prime up and will not start. There should not be any diesel leaking from the bottom. Just double check valve is tight. It screws on and of. Clock wise to tighten.

Yeah i guess its broken because it wont tighten just keeps turning
Is there a risk to keep in mind when changing a fuel filter by myself
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

T​hat might be covered under some kind of warranty. I would double check with the place you got the truck at. No its just one sensor to unplug and it screws on and off.

Ok well were far from any dealer services to get towed so were going to do it if we find an auto parts open today
When we put in the new filter do i need to fill it up with diesel
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

You don't have to but it would speed up the priming process.

Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 2 months ago

Hello just wondering if you got your truck running again?