Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 chevy cruze and I accidentally got in a pool…

Customer Question
Hello I have a...

Hello I have a 2011 chevy cruze and I accidentally got in a pool with my keys now the theft light keeps coming up and my car wont start. We're out of town. Is there anyway I can get it to go away and it can start? Till I get home and buy another key? Or is there a number I can call where they can help me? Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

I did it through the radio but nothing..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cruze yourself? What have you tried so far?

Honestly I went on YouTube and all I really tried was turn the key as if I was turning it on but not all the way then turn it off for 5 secs then turn it back on. We tried it 3 times and nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think off besides how can I turn it on

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/28/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Did you try drying the key out with a blow dryer? If not, try that then do the 30 minute relearn procedure below

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the theft light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

If it still does not start, then unfortunately the key is ruined. There is no way to bypass this antitheft system to start the vehicle. You will have to call around where you are at to the local locksmiths and see if have the right key blank and scan tool to program it. If not, then it would need to be towed to a GM dealer to have this done.

Sorry for the unpleasant news.

I already tried this yesterday and it didnt work

HI,

Unfortunately, then the only recourse is to purchase new key and have it programmed, either thru a locksmith or dealer