Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cruise control won't work and airbag light stays on, three…

Customer Question
Cruise control won't work...

Cruise control won't work and airbag light stays on, three wires got cut that go from the wiring harness at the firewall in orange wire a purple wire and a brown wire everything worked fine yesterday until I made a mistake and cut through these wires on accident so which harness do I need to replace to fix it because there's no play in these wires to try to reconnect them

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

Cruise control does not function and yes I've checked the fuses all are fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2003 Chevrolet S10 LS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've been under the dash and found the wires that were cut but there's no way to reconnect them because there is no excess wire to pull to reconnect plus I can barely even grab them

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/27/2018
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 2 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Your best bet would be to attach or add wires to the wires that were cut to make them LONGER in order to re-attach them. You can add 2 to 4 inches of wire on each end of each wire to lengthen the wires as needed in order to make them long enough to re-attach. This will be the cheapest and most efficient route possible to getting this issue fixed as you may not be able to locate the harness needed to replace it. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please reply back and let me know as I will be happy to help. If not, please don't forget to rate. Thank and have a great day!

Okay that answer does not help me, that's common sense to extend the wires, the problem is is you cannot reach any wires that are cut because they're buried back in the firewall in the harness an inside the rubber boot that goes into the engine compartment

Ok got it. So sorry about that. I will leave this question open for other experts. Maybe another expert has a different idea. Good luck.

Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 months ago
Dan, Technician

If wire harness goes into engine compartment I'd say pull wires back out through engine compartment so you can connect new wires/extensions then push them back into cab so you can re-run them. Does that option work?