Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I replaced the starter it acts like it wants to start at…

Customer Question
I replaced the starter...

I replaced the starter it acts like it wants to start at certain times rite now it just started clicks then I seen sum spaks from the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It started when my car died n wouldn't start back up then I changed the starter three times n nothing just clicks switched wires around then started to click like three times in a row but before clicked once now it's just clicking n not starting

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Chevrolet cavalier 96 2.2l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Chevrolet Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

My brother in law is doin it checked the fuses gas tank fuel filter took the battery in to have it tested n charged changed the battery cables out

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Now it's leackin sumthin all over the ground under Neath the car in two different places

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Chevy
5/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

!
Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like the connections at the starter are loose, the starter mounting to the surface or the starter is bad have you double checked this yet

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The starter is not bad took it in n had it tested

also having it tested does not check it under load so all it confirms is the bendix will pop out, the true test is under a load, have you checked the connections yet ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The first two were bad bought this one hocked it up n nothing then switched the wires round n clicked then took it in n had it tested they said it was GD before putting it on had to free the flywheel then put it back in it made several clicks act like it wanted to started left it alone went next day n now it clicks n seen a couple sparks

have you checked to see if the engine will rotate manually?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
How do u do that

use a socket and ratchet on the crank shaft bolt and turn

the engine could be locked up

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The guy doin it said yes he has

ok so if the engine is free and there are sparks there is a loose or frayed connections somewhere, you need to pinpoint the sparks and fix the wiring

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Then wat would the fluid be that's leaking all over my ground from front driver side n back passenger side n from my understanding the spark was cummin from the starter from wat I was told
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Where would u think would be the best place to start looking for loose or frayed wire

I would follow the spark and as far as the fluid is concerned you need to determine what fluid it is and then you can find what system its coming from, I usually just look where its leaking and trace it back to the source

Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 14 days ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!