Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I set my 1996 Tahoe TDC so I can remove the distributor to…

Customer Question
I set my 1996...

I set my 1996 Tahoe TDC so I can remove the distributor to replace it although it was working it was time to be replaced. Now that I took out the distributor I having issues setting the new one In place and when it fully locked in its not starting anymore

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Brand new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have set it to top dead center and just tried to put the new one in watching step by step of the 1Aauto YouTube video and my is just not lining up like the video said it should

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Chevy
5/25/2018
Chevy Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 29 days ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, often times when it will not line up properly you will have to take a long screwdriver and place it down the hole the distributor came out of and turn the oil pump drive shaft some. I'll post the factory installation method below which may help.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!