Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My button fell of the shifter and it will only go in drive…

Customer Question
My button fell of...

My button fell of the shifter and it will only go in drive and neutral

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

No idea, but probably, its a 2008 chevy cobalt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying but my husband broke the whole button, now its in pieces and It only goes in drive and neutral, ugg

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Since it is broken now, you will need a replacement shifter assembly. Once you remove yours you can manually move the shifter cable end to shift to all gears if driving is mandatory.

You now will see a rating scale a row of yellow stars from bad to excellent, because I have posted my 1st full/partial answer. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my INFO REQUEST / ANSWER in return for the fees you have already paid. I want those fees to benefit you and me. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent 5-star service you're pleased with, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.

Thanks, Chris