Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Some sort of anti theft system malfunction. Little lock

Customer Question
Some sort of anti...

Some sort of anti theft system malfunction. Little lock light comes on in the dash and the car will not start, sometimes requiring a jump even though the battery has been tested and is 100%. Any ideas? It only clicks when you turn the key, the motor doesnt turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

You beleive it may be a bad fuse? Havent checked them. Dashboard bulbs are working fine....

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2014 sonic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well, if i can. Ive had the battery tested, and replaced the battery in the key via dealerships advice. It didnt help anything. Ive read about some chevys having antitheft issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that should be about it. Thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
5/25/2018
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 2 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Your saying that the security light is on solid or flashing with the key on or when trying to start the engine?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Does it click once or several times when trying to start the engine?

The little lock light comes on and stays on solid when the malfunction occurs. Havent had a diagnotic at the dealership or anything but theres no check engine light so autozone has said they cant tell me anything. Its does click several times when attempting to start. Sounds like a dead battery kinda buts not.

Thank you. Based on what your telling me, it sounds like there might be two different issues. The security issue and or a bad battery or low voltage situation. The security light being on alone is a problem, but that wont cause any sort of clicking when trying to start the engine.

Are you sure the battery is not dead. Sounds to me like the battery is bad or low on a charge. What is the battery voltage at?

absolutely sure. Its been tested and holds a charge. The car will start up even after being parked for several days provided this malfunction doesnt occur. Im not sure of any specific voltage however. Just put a new alternator in a year ago also. Its quite the pickle.

Can you speak on the phone?

Its as if the car ‘thinks’ im attempting to steal it and it wont start as some sort of preventative measure. Sometimes when you get out, re lock and unlock the door manually with the key it will start up after this malfunction. Using the keyless entry seems to trigger it. Sometimes the manual key trick doesnt work tho and i have to get jumped to get her to start.

Thank you for that information. Would you like me to list some possible causes for you?

Tbh my girl has the car at work right now. I dnt have it here to really go thru it step by step on the phone.
well didnt you say it was a security issue or bad battery? Any other ideas?

Thank you for that information. If the battery is in fact good and all connections are clean and tight (cables, grounds and even the power distribution center) and the security system is the root cause, it could be a faulty ignition key or the immobilizer module around the ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch. Those would be the most likely possible causes if the security system is the root cause.

I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Any advice on how to check those battery connections? Ive cleaned the terminals up on the battery but thats it. Id definitely like to check the cables, grounds and power distribution.

The correct way is to use a voltmeter and ensure the battery has 12.6 volts indicating it is fully charged. Then check voltage along the points of power distribution and make sure that the cables, fuses and main ignition wires and power supplies has and maintains battery voltage when trying to start the engine. By doing this test, it will rule out any wiring or connection issue that it could be.

Also, if it turns put to be a faulty ignition key, or immobilizer module (idk what either of things are lol) how do i find out for sure? Checy dealer for a diagnostic?
It was actually my girl who took it to autozone for the battery test. Do you know If the voltmeter test is the test they perform?

If the problem is the ignition key, the vehicle will start when using an alternative key.

YES, to diagnose any other security related issue, the dealership or an independent shop with the correct tools would need to run some checks to find out what is wrong. But keep in mind, it could be something simple so check the basics first (battery and connections, cables and grounds).

They likely tested the battery with a load tester. But a voltmeter will work if you understand the system. For example, if the battery is at 12.0 volts but drops below 10 volts under a load, it is a bad battery. You should be able to ask them for a print out of the battery test they performed indicating that the battery is good.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Do you have any further questions I can assist with?

Hello? Can I be of further assistance sir?

Weve tried switching keys yet the problem persists. So basically we ve ruled out battery and key now? Definitely appreciate your time and help but its starting to feel like i didnt really learn anything unfortunately. I understand its hard to diagnose thru text messages especially since the car isnt with me. Being that we ve switched keys, and had the battery tested, if i understand correctly it must be a security issue not related to the ignition key?

If that is the case, then again, the issue is likely to be a faulty security module.

I have successfully answered your question.

Your welcome.

If your truly appreciate my help, I would appreciate a positive rating for assisting you today.

I’m not too sure thats for you to say at this point. The question may or may not have been successfully answered. I appreciate the help, although i paid for it so its sort of part of the arrangement lol. Id have been more satisfied without being prompted to rate the answer multiple times before we’d even finished the conversation. Anyways thanks man.

Up to this point, I have answered all of your questions.

If you have any further questions, please post them on this page and I will be happy to continue assisting you.

Again, your welcome.

Your looking for a full blown diagnoses on the vehicle but yet your not giving me any information to work with. You cannot even give me the battery voltage readings. Think about it. That would be like asking a doctor to diagnose a sick patient without running any tests. Blood work, basic heart rate and temperature tests. How in the world is the doctor supposed to come up with a EXACT answer without knowing all of the facts. That is what your asking me to do to.

With the LITTLE information you are providing me with, I have given you the best possible answer and direction to go in while still providing you with other possible causes and answering all of your questions.

I was actually fully understanding that youre in a difficult position trying to answer this one. Im also aware there is some info i could have that i dont. But i told you everything except these battery voltage readings you asked for, not to mention ive been pretty straight forward that i dnt think its battery related. Maybe smoke yourself a cigarette or something friend it seems like youre stewing over there. I didnt even say i wasn't helped, just said i found it annoying that youd pester me for reviews before youve done your job in its entirety. Since you seem to enjoy analogies, that would be like my hairdresser asking for a tip before hes finished my haircut. Rude. Made worse by a message sent 10 minutes after wed ended our conversation containing capitalized words to emphasize your anger. Ill be contacting just answer for a refund.