Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2013 malibu 2.0L reduced engine power message cleared all…

Customer Question
2013 malibu 2.0L reduced engine...
2013 malibu 2.0L reduced engine power message
cleared all codes drove the vehicle and it was jerking & hesitating to gain speed
codes that come back P228c, C0242
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
5/9/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The code P228C indicates a low fuel pressure concern and the code C0242 is a traction control code so I would address the P228 code first starting with checking the fuel pressure. Normal fuel pressure on your 2.0 should be right at 43 to 58 PSI. If the pressure tests okay then you are going to need to run through the pinpoint testing for the code. I have enclosed it in the link below if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qv4cc431ivg7df/pump%20testing%20May%209.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i cant comand the fuel pressure to increase with my scan tool it wont let me in the system , for the circuit testing portion of this test

Is your scanner capable to do this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it say it can but when i go to perform it it doesnt respond

I would suspect its problem with the scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im back on this should i start a new or keep going

Either way, did you get the scan tool to increase pressure?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i finally understand it was a lack of understanding ok on the scanner it says increase fuel rail pressure
ok when i enter the test it has two lines to look at desired fuel rail pressure and actual
when in the test the desired pressure says 470 my actual say 72.35 fluctuating a couple up and down
when i increase the desired changes but the actual stays the same
on the drop box it says if no increase go to fuel system testing but i did not see a section for fuel system testing

See the link below for the fuel system testing. I would suspect that you may have a bad fuel pump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yxxbu8as7jnhlz/fuel%20system%20testing%20May%2021.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i need u to teach me how do i know a leaky injector by fuel injector balance test
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what do i look for

A leaking injector will result in a rich condition and usually an engine misfire on that cylinder. If you are hitting on all cylinders and not blowing black smoke then that is not likely the case.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok yes its not misfiring

If you not seeing any rich condition and no indication of a rich running condition then I would suspect a failing fuel pump.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok by this chart it saying change the G12 fuel pump where is this located and how is there any other related things should i change with this as well
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
78008mile on this car would this pump be covered under manufactures warranty

I do not think the pump is covered but I would Check with GM to be sure. The G12 pump is located in the fuel tank. I have enclosed the pump and fuel tank removal steps for you in the link below. The fuel filter on this one is part of the fuel pump assembly .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhqsdt7o2rs8dmu/fuel%20pump%20May%2021.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dhr46l46qr7xdy/fuel%20tank%20May%2021.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok installed fuel pump cleared all codes and it done the same thing only now the codes that show up is p0013, p0014, p0228c
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 28 days ago

GM had a service bulletin that calls for removing the camshaft solenoids and inspecting the screens for any signs of debris of the code P0014. See it below. Have a look at it and see if it will help to resolve these new codes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20knfi9acc021zy/P0014%20May%2026.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok but the 228c come back as well

I would try going back through the pinpoint test for this code and see if there is something you may have missed. There are no known common causes for this code to set that I can find.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
can u up load the first two drop boxes ? i threw my copies away
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok on my scanner my deired
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
on my scanner my desired fuel psi is 432 at idel
on my actual it is 72 psi
when i accerlerate my desired increases my atual does not
how do i correct thtis
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago

Normal fuel pressure on the 2.0 calls for 43 to 58 PSI. At this point, I am not sure what you have going on here.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
fuel rail pressure is higher than that

Yea and that may be part of the problem. I'm out of ideas on this and I'm not helping to much at this point . If you would like I can open this up and perhaps some may have something new to add.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
ok the fuel pressure is 58.6 but the fuel rail pressure is only 72 i think it suppose to be higher
if thats what u want to do i need this car gone its holing me up
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
where is the high pressure fuel pump located

The high-pressure pump is on the top of the engine. See the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ti2pch412d38nqq/High%20pressure%20pump%20May%2029.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
can u find out what the fuel rail pressure suppose to be at idle if not can we open this to a good gm tech

I'll just open this back up for you. I'm not doing you much good on this one.

Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 25 days ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

if you are getting p0013 and p0014 along with p228c that is a high-pressure fuel pump issue or a camshaft issue since the high-pressure fuel pump runs off of the camshaft lobes

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I am how would I make sure it's not the cam shaft

standby

you would need to know the lift of each lobe is within spec and is not worn, but I would not expect that on a 5-year-old car. at this point, I m going to recommend taking it to a Chevy dealer for further analysis. Ill open this up for the other to chime in

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
when I remove the high-pressure fuel I should see bad wear... if not then I should replace the high pressure pump
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
problem solved high pressure pump was the malfunctioning component
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks RON Thanks David