Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Chevy express 3500 with a 4.8. I'm getting…

Customer Question
I have a 2010 Chevy...
I have a 2010 Chevy express 3500 with a 4.8. I'm getting codes p0141 and p016,. Both O2s were changed and the codes cleared. Codes are back, checked for bad wiring and did not find any, tested the O2s and got 6ohms resistance and the heater wires showed 12 volt on both wires on both O2 sensors. I'm at a loss as to why I'm still getting codes, it all seems to be working. The O2 voltage while running also is right where it should be.
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Chevy
4/3/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 20 days ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

These look to be heater performance codes for the oxygen sensors for bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 which are both after the catalytic converter.

P0141 or P0161

The ECM detects that the HO2S 2 heater current is greater than 2.9 amps, or less than 0.3 amps for greater than 8 seconds.

Since the sensors were replaced make sure the wiring leading to these sensors is o.k. as well as the connections, Look for loose pins or terminals or any corrosion or damage.

If this is all found to be o.k. this can be the engine computer itself at fault.Below is the full diagnostic procedure for these codes.This procedure would need to be followed to pinpoint which is the cause then it can be repaired from there.

Circuit/System Verification

1. Engine idling, command the appropriate B52 HO2S heater to 100 % and 0 % with a scan tool while observing the B52 HO2S Heater Circuit Test Status parameter. The parameter should display OK or Not Run.
2. Engine idling at operating temperature, observe the scan tool B52 HO2S Heater parameter. The amperage should be within 0.3-1.5 A.
3. Engine idling at operating temperature, move the related wiring and connectors while observing the B52 HO2S Heater parameter with a scan tool. The parameter should not change with movement.

♦ If movement affects the parameter, repair the appropriate harness or connector.

4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate B52 HO2S.
2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the ignition voltage circuit terminal D and ground.

♦ If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition voltage circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the B52 HO2S heater circuit fuse is open, test all components connected to the fuse and replace as necessary.

3. Probe the appropriate control circuit terminal listed below with a test lamp connected to B+. Verify that the test lamp does not illuminate.

* B52 HO2S 1 terminal C
* B52 HO2S 2 terminal C

♦ If the test lamp illuminates, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the K20 ECM.

4. Engine idling, the test lamp should illuminate, or flash.

♦ If the test lamp does not illuminate, or flash, test the control circuit for a short to voltage, or an open/high resistance. If the circuit/connections test normal, replace the K20 ECM.

Note:
* Less than 10 ohm on the ignition voltage circuit, or control circuit may set a DTC. If there is resistance on a circuit the driver will remain ON and the scan tool will display greater than 0.00 amp.
* Performing this test may set additional DTCs.

5. Ignition OFF, connect a 10 A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal listed below and the ignition voltage circuit terminal D.

* B52 HO2S 1 terminal C
* B52 HO2S 2 terminal C

6. Engine idling, observe the appropriate B52 HO2S Heater parameter. The scan tool should display 0.00 A.

♦ If greater than the specified value, test the control circuit and the ignition voltage circuit for high resistance.

7. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the appropriate B52 HO2S.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician