Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a flat tire and my spare tire lock cannot twist with…

Customer Question
I have a flat...

I have a flat tire and my spare tire lock cannot twist with my key

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

GMC Sierra 1500 year 2014

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to unlock the spare tire in the back So my spouse can change the tire

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks, ***** ***** need to unlock the spare tire but my key doesn’t work

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
4/3/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

This can occur where the cylinder does not rotate due to dust in some cases getting into the cylinder.In other cases, it is the tumblers in the cylinder itself that jam up.If you haven't tried this yet you can spray a small amount of lubricant into the cylinder then work the key in the cylinder to see if it will insert and turn then.In some cases, this works.

In other cases, unfortunately, the cylinder would need to be drilled out to remove it or a locksmith to come out and use their tools to pick it to get it to turn.Unfortunately, these are the only way to usually access the tire when this occurs.It is a good design but unfortunately, this can occur.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete