Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its at 18 m per g. on the dash and I just put a cold air…

Customer Question
Its at 18 m...

Its at 18 m per g. on the dash and I just put a cold air intake in but it is still bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

It also says low coolant on the dash but I got a new coolant take a month ago and it is full

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '18 Chevy?

2005 chevy cobalt ss

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cobalt SS yourself? What have you tried so far?

New cold air intake, new fuel filter, new fuel pump,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm getting 18 miles to the gallon and I need to know how to fix it

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Chevy Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Master Tech replied 22 days ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, what are you expecting the vehicle to get, what engine is in the cobalt?

if its a 2018 and there is a fuel economy issue it is covered under warranty.

Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 22 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

OK I'd ignore the official mpg figures as they are not 'real world'

looking on fuelly .com where real world figures are submitted by owners

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/cobalt?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=1&submodel_id=624

and is shows a chevy SS should give about 24 mpg on average

so there's a few possibilities for high fuel consumption

Incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will be leaving the car constantly ' on choke' and not reducing the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive
Check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

One other thing is to ensure that you're running on the correct grade of engine and gearbox oil as if its too thick or overfilled this will really hurt the fuel economy

Air leak at the mass airflow meter -
Any air dragged after the meter isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for, causing rough running.
Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.
The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Binding brakes:
Check that all the wheels can be turned freely by hand, and free off any sticking calipers
Incorrect wheel alignment:
Check all the tyres for signs of uneven wear if it has any then get it checked out at a place that does 4 wheel alignment not just front tracking and ensure tyres are pumped up to their recommended maximum
Injectors are clean and not dribbling - add a bottle of injector cleaner to the tank

Use good quality fuel - from my own findings its worth paying the extra for BP or shell as typically you'll get another 10% fuel saving which outweighs the cost over supermarket fuel.

Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 14 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer