Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Want to replace radio/cruise control switches. 2001 chevy.

Customer Question
Want to replace radio/cruise...

Want to replace radio/cruise control switches.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?

2001 chevy monte carlo. switches work intermittently.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Monte Carlo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to remove air bag carefully from steering wheel. checked on-line youtube videos but did not find accurate info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Chevy
3/30/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 21 days ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

So getting the airbag off the steering wheel is where you're hung up, yes?

Don't be afraid of the airbag. It's extremely unusual for them to just "go off" for no reason.

See the attached procedure, basically you're going to stick a screwdriver into those slots and twist, releasing the spring that holds the airbag on the steering wheel. Hard to explain, once you get one to release, though, you'll have the hang of it, and you'll get the other two.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 15 days ago

Did you get this worked out?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician