Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The heater goes hot to cold to hot to cold.....The blower…

The heater goes hot...

The heater goes hot to cold to hot to cold.....The blower sounds like it has a burst of power then slows then a burst and so on. i have a feeling it is a blend door opening and closing. happens mainly on the drivers side. Passenger side stays hot but still has the burst of air problem. i looked up some problems and found a problem might be with a Blend Door actuator?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

Level looks good. i have heat just not consistently on one side.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2011 Silverado LT 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will be, have not tried anything yet.

3/28/2018
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

the odds are this issue is a failing drivers door temp/blend actuator problem

on these its best to have a shop change it out then recalibrate the actuators with there scan tool and that usually fixes this issue

if you have any questions please askplease do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Where is this actuator located? is it the one by the floor? i have to remove the big cover under the dash.

yes

it is located directly on the bottom of the heater box near where the driveshaft hum is in the floor

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i have the part in front of me brand new. if i change it out will it work at all? then i will have a shop re calibrate it.

change it out

then disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes then connect both back up start it up and do NOT touch the heater controls for 5 minutes and it will sometimes self calibrate

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok i will give it a try. can i log off and if needed log back on if i have any other questions with this heater issue?

yes

you can always get me back through here even after you rate me

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Gary, the heater started off working but as soon as I started switching the modes (vent to floor to defrost) it went back to working bad again. Could it need to be re-calibrated with the new part?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
did you get the last message?

at this point i would have the heater controller programming updated then the actuators relearned

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
brought it to a local shop that said they have the program to do it. they called and said it took the program but is still acting up. what next?

at this point there would be an issue with the control head if there are no codes set in the BCM

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician