Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a question for you on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD…

Hi Gary this is Richard...
Hi Gary this is Richard, have a question for you on a 2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with a 6.6 L Duramax engine. We were having problems with a DTC code of a P0093, also an occasional P0089, and P0098.
The injectors have been replaced before, but a couple years after the injectors were replaced we started getting this P0093 code when pulling heavy loads uphills. It has gradually gotten worse to wear now just driving the truck up a hill will set the code.
We are removing the injectors, and one of them came out with the injector sleeve. When we got the sleeve off of the injector it was completely impacted with carbon, and not clean like the other injectors. Could this have been the cause of our large fuel leak (P0093)?
By the way the fuel was delving into the oil back in the beginning before the injectors were replaced the first time… Now there is no fuel in the oil, and I've been told that the fuel blows by an O-ring and returns to the fuel tank tricking the computer into thinking there's a large fuel leak when it is only returning back into the fuel tank.
Please advise on what I should look for, and/or do, at this point to help you understand anything you need to do, in order to help me!
Thank you in advance, Richard.
Okay, after I initially contacted you we found one injector O-ring that was almost blown into in a small spot, and one other one that the O-ring was "wavy "in other words not round looking like it should've been. More than likely I'm assuming these were our source of fuel leak?
3/28/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

I think you've found it.

Hi Jerry, and thanks for getting back to me. I had been talking to a guy named Gary before, and I try to get back to him but was not able to. I'm trying to understand how the fuel leaks and gets back into the fuel tank without leaking into the oil, or into the coolant?? And was it the fact that the injector was not seating all the way that allowed all the carbon to build up between the injector and the injector sleeve? And are you saying that the blown out and the wavy O-rings were the source of the fuel leak?
Thank you in advance for your help, Richard.

I think the O rings are the source of the leak, and I agree that the carboned up injector is evidence of that. It sounds like you are all over this fix.

:-)

-Jerry

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Okay Jerry thank you for the help!