Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 saturn relay. 115,000. Car turned off at office this…

2005 saturn relay Mechanic's...

2005 saturn relay

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

115,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Relay yourself? What have you tried so far?

Car turned off at office this morning while driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery light showed on dash display, then battery charging failure then to battery saver mod and car died

3/28/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the battery light comes on and then the charging failure warning are set, this is more commonly, a faulty alternator but it could also be the case of a weak battery. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running (if you need to jump-start the vehicle, make sure to remove the jumper cables before testing), take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion and that the serpentine belt is tight around the alternator pulley at this time. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
ok thank you for you fast response

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!