Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 duromax 6.6 3500 express has a couple codes like P0…

Customer Question
2005 duromax 6.6...

2005 duromax 6.6 3500 express has a couple codes like P0 335a

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Po 3356 po 0090 po381

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Started turns the motor probably one revolution then stops till key turn off then back on again . Yes plan on work on it myself .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Did a compression check on two of the cylinders they both pulled up two about 280 psi .we have 6 glow plugs that are working . and can put wd40 in the intake and will try to crank but starter keeps cutting out.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/28/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The ECM controls the starter on this truck. The first thing I'd want to see is why the ECM is releasing the starter so soon. Is that something you can see on your scan tool?

Hello Jerry
Yes trying to fix this problem myself . Have been a light duty mechanic for the past twenty years .
I purchased a Mac mentor scout scan tool a couple months back . The soft ware will not load this vehicle by vin like most .
The vehicle is a C -4500 . I think some features are not present . Still learning the basics and my way around on the mac. Any certain area to pay attention to on the starter function.

Probably the biggest problem we had with starter circuit was the PRNDL switch on the side of the transmission, they get water in them and it screws them all up. You'll usually have no PRNDL data on the cluster when this happens, or it will be fritzy or something.

But the ECM should crank this until it starts, or until the starter times out, 5-6 seconds or so. If the scan tool is giving you trouble, I guess I'd start by putting a test light to the starter solenoid wire, and just verify that the power is going away to the starter, is the ECM cutting the power or is the starter just bad?

I can jump 30 to 87 on the starter relay circuit and the starter works fine

OK, starter is good. Is the relay bad? Swap it with another relay from the fuse box and see if the starter still acts the same.

it’s been replaced several times with a new one

OK, then we can assume that the ECM is doing this.

Does the "wait to start" lamp work?

sir it does

Interesting set of codes, one of them points to that lamp. At least one of them points to a crank position sensor, and another to low fuel pressure. Have you replaced any parts besides the starter relay?

The turbo has been replaced

How long ago was that, was it before this starting issue, or has it not started since the turbo replacement?

It’s all same time and thought it might be the biggest cause of it all so adressed it first
The truck has 101100 miles

But did the starter just begin doing this? How did it start before the turbo replacement?

I am reading that if there is no signal received by the ECM from the crank sensor, it will disengage the starter.

I would put a crank sensor in this next.

That also has been replaced one time with a Napa brand
The reluctance wheel behind the switch still in tact and true form
The wires have been all three traced and beep tested On this particular switch

If any of those wires are touching ground, the signal will be dead. I understand you have continuity from end to end. You need to also test continuity to ground on those wires, they can have continuity from end to end, and also be touching ground, and that would be enough to kill the signal. It may also be causing the other codes to set, if it's affecting the 5V reference circuit.

What is that second code, P03356... that's not accurate, can you recheck that?

I will when back home this evening . thank you for your time . And will be back in touch

Of course, let me know how it goes.

Codes : po335a
Poo90a
Po381b

P0335 is the crank sensor. If your scan tool reads live data, crank it and watch the RPM. If RPM stays at zero while cranking, you need to work on the crank sensor circuit and see why.

P0090 is for the fuel rail pressure circuit, the readings are wonky in some way. Do you have fuel rail pressure indicated on the scan tool?

Hello Jerry
I did get to the bottom of what was going on . You had mentioned the rpms needs to be present before moving forward , well the higher priced napa brand crank sensor was indeed the problem . Purchase a new one from the local dealer then it all fell in to place after that . Thanks for the help . Hope I get you next time .

Excellent!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated.

Nice job!

Hello trying to rate this , and the page at the top is like inactive .