Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Chevy S10, 4.3 liter V6 4x4. it wouldnt start…

I have a 2002 Chevy...
I have a 2002 Chevy S10, 4.3 liter V6 4x4. it wouldnt start this morning it cranks and almost starts and the plugs spark, although i flooded it trying to start it so they are wet but they still spark i took the air filter out and tried to start it and it still wouldnt start, what should i do?
3/28/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Did you try holding the throttle wide open while cranking it? That's how you clear a flooded engine.

ill try, bu ti cant figure out why it wouldnt start before i flooded it
how long do i crank on it? it tried to start but still didnt. held it for 20 seconds
it ran yesterday and just wouldnt start today
If it’s really flooded good you may need to crank it for a couple of minutes off and on. Crank it for 10 or 15 seconds then let it rest for five minutes and try it again, holding pedal all the way to the floor each time. Are you sure you have spark?
Yeah we pulled a spark plug and watched it spark
You might even let it sit overnight and try it in the morning
yeah i guess thats what ill do but do you have any idea why it wouldnt start in the first place
If you have a scan tool I would look at the coolant temp sensor value and make sure it’s accurate. And if the spark is weak, I would look at the coil and the distributor cap and rotor for defects.
i dont have a scan tool but i can try to scan tomorrow, ill take the distributor cap off and check i got and extra coil and cap
i pulled the cap the contacts look burned
Could it be the Spider/

If you have an extra coil and cap, I'd install them, and put a new rotor in as well. Caps and rotors are notorious for cracking internally, where you can't see the failure, but the spark will surely go away inside the distributor due to this cracking.

If the engine is flooded, then it's not the spider/injector assembly. When the injector assy fails, the engine gets no fuel, not too much fuel.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
but the other side was dry
i changed cap and rotor didnt start i replaced everything but the spider a year ago
was the injectors, replaced with updated spider. Son broke one of the bolts off that holds the cover down over the spider. Does vacuum go through there or is it just a cover to protect the spider injectors?

Vacuum does exist inside there, but one broken bolt is probably not going to result in a vacuum leak. If you put a new gasket on there, it will probably be fine indefinitely.

Nice job!