Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My open door chime comes on and stays on when I start

My open door chime...

My open door chime comes on and stays on when I start moving, is there any way to disable it. I it's a 2007 Silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes on both

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Are you sure it's due to an open door? Are you getting a message that a door is open?

The sound is the same as the open door sound, are there other warning chimes that sound the same. I don't get any open door warnings , but as soon as I get to 5 mph it starts ringing and doesn't stop till I come to a complete stop.

This sounds like the seat belt chime, but you should also have a flashing seat belt light on the dash if this is why it's chiming. The chime is the same for everything, you have to look to the dash for some indication of why it's doing it. Seat belt will do it once you start moving. Do you wear your seat belt, and/or is that seat belt light illuminated on the dash?

The seat belt is on, I have had service air bag warning would that make the chime go off

Airbag light should NOT make the chime go off.

If the park brake is slightly applied, that would do it, just like you describe, as soon as you start moving it would start chiming, and not stop until the truck stops moving. But again, you'd have a red brake light illuminated on the dash to go along with this.

To answer your original question, no, there's not a way to defeat the chime. It originates from the radio and comes out of the LF speaker, and it's commanded by a computer called the body control module. As long as you have a factory radio, the chime is going to work. That's why I'm trying to go down the path of what is really causing it to chime in the first place.

No brake warning , fortunately the front speakers only work occasionally, I will try pulling the parking brake release to see if that changes anything,but I have a feeling it wont, the truck has had other off electrical problems that come and periodically.

Like I said, this is controlled by the body control module, or BCM. If there is no other cause for this, I would say you have a faulty BCM. If the other concerns you have with the truck are also electrical in nature, the BCM could be responsible for all of them.

A new BCM requires dealer programming, it's not a DIY repair, so if you think this is the path you're going to go down, my best advice is to get this to the dealer, and they can diagnose it properly. With a good scan tool, the tech can watch the BCM data and see why the BCM is commanding the chime, or determine if it's doing it without input i.e. faulty BCM.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Thank you for your help

You're welcome, let me know if you need anything else.