Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1996 Chevy s10 ls with a 4.3 6cyl. I started it…

Customer Question
I have a 1996...

I have a 1996 Chevy s10 ls with a 4.3 6cyl. I started it this afternoon after driving it around all morning and it started normally but 10seconds after starting it the vehicle died. No power to anything. No lights no ignition power no nothing. I checked the fuse panel and all of the blade fuses are intact. The battery has power. I read that there are fusible links in the s10 and found one connecting the + terminalof the battery to a wiring harness today leads to my main wiring housing. Does this sound like the issue or are there other fuses that I'm not aware of? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

There is no power at all. As if there wasn't a battery in it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself and have only checked the fuse panel so far

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/27/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

There are fusible links on a 96 S10. There should be a bundle of them on the driver's side inner fender.

Is there any way to tell which one went out or not

When they burn up, they sometimes burn inside but leave the insulation intact. But if you pull on a burned fusible link, it will just snap in two, because there's no wire left holding it together inside.

So that's what I do, I grab each one and give it a tug. Any that break in two are burned and need to be replaced. You can also test with a test light, just poke the wire through the insulation on the downstream side of the link, and you should have power on each one.

Did you get this worked out?

Still no power. I replaced all of the fusible wires but nothing's has changed. While replacing 2 of the wires two different things happened. After one of them the drive selection light on the dash came on but I had no power to anything else. Second one was the door open alarm worked for a few seconds but again no power to anything else

Is the ground side of the battery intact? Follow the negative battery cable to where it attaches and see that it's still there, and not just being held on by one strand, loose, etc.

Will check once it stops snowing

Oh good grief, don't even say that word.

I'm in New England, at least it's sunny here.

Update not snowing anymore...but it is iced over now

:-)