Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 04 fully loaded 2wd Suburban. A great truck and it…

I have an 04...

I have an 04 fully loaded 2wd Suburban. A great truck and it looks like new. Today, while I was on the road, the voltmeter pinged past 14 and stopped, hanging in the far right position. If there were more numbers on the meter, the pointer would be on 30. When I stop the engine, it doesn't move. Is this simply a matter of meter failure or does it indicate alternator problems. If I need meter replacement, how much of a chore is that?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

125,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Suburban?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

The problem just happened. I doubt that I would tackle taking the instrument cluster apart.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope, that's it.

3/27/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

This sounds like a gauge failure, and this gauge is part of the complete cluster.

Clusters from that era are notoriously trouble prone, so much so that GM put an extended warranty on them. It has since expired, but you get the point: they were pretty bad.

I think you are looking at cluster replacement on this truck to solve this problem.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else.

A 'right on' truthful answer. I am an electrical engineer and former mechanic and can pretty much figure 'stuff' out. I felt that I knew the answer, but it needed validation!

If it was actually charging at 30vdc (something I've never seen happen), you would probably have smoke coming from all sorts of things that shouldn't be smoking. As an e.e. you know just what I'm talking about.

:-)

-Jerry

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician