Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Bad miss few days ago. Now nothing. Tested wires and getting…

Customer Question
Bad miss few days...

Bad miss few days ago. Now nothing. Tested wires and getting no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent. No power to the fuel pump at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 Silverado 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself, have tried fuses, battery, bought new fuel pump but haven’t put it in yet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are you testing power to the fuel pump with the key on the first two seconds it is switched on and are you testing for power directly at the pump itself?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

I tested the plugin for the pump and there’s no power.

Does the fuel pump relay click on in the first two seconds the key is switched on with this issue here?

it does I can hear it

Locate the ECM B fuse ( 20 amp ) in the under hood fuse panel and make sure it is o.k.It is the fuse that supplies the power to the fuel pump when the relay activates.Since the relay activates we know the engine computer is sending a signal and the fuse that feeds the energized side of the relay is o.k. as well.But if this fuse above is blown this causes this fault.If this fuse is found to be o.k. let me know.If the fuse is found to be blown it is usually the fuel pump itself at fault needing replaced as well as the fuse.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I have checked that fuse and is good

Does the fuse have power on it at all?It should have around 12 volts DC on it with the key on or off.

when I check with a tester it’s good on both sides and has 12 volts

O.k., then the issue is you have a break in the wiring leading from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump itself.The power feed wire from the relay to the pump itself is a gray wire.The ground for the pump is a black wire that bolts to the frame.Make sure this ground is o.k.

If the ground is o.k. then the gray wire needs traced leading from the pump to the relay to locate the break in the wiring to then repair the wiring to resolve this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete