Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2003 CHEVY MI8SFIRES #6 CYLINDER 5.3 LTR ENGINE TIGHT COMES

Customer Question

2003 CHEVY MI8SFIRES #6 CYLINDER 5.3 LTR ENGINE TIGHT COMES ON
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 2O3456 ITS AN AUTO SILVERADO P/U
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: MY SON PUT IN A NEW CAM RAN GOOD FOR ABOUT BOUT A YEAR READOUT SAYS VAVLE GASKET LEAKING HOW DAT POSSIIBLE?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: THATS IT.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Has anything been checked or tested or replaced to try and locate or repair the #6 cylinder misfire at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, I am unable to place a call on this myself here.Others here see you have requested a call though and if they can call they will call to help.But I will continue here below myself.

Can you tell me what has been checked, tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this misfire?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
COIL PACS BEEN CHANGED
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Was the spark plug and spark plug boot checked for any issues or did you try and swap the spark plug to another cylinder to see if the misfire changes to that cylinder?

Is the spark plug wet with fuel when checked?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
THE MISFIRE CLEARED UP N SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT WENT OUT IF THIS HAPPEN AGAIN SHOULD I CHECK THE PLUG ?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

If this happens again I would swap the spark plug with another cylinder and see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder.If it does then replace the spark plug.If the misfire does not move to the cylinder you swapped the spark plug with then I would have the fuel injector tested.I have seen the fuel injector plug up partially or act up and atomize incorrectly causing this fault here as well and the injector has to be replaced to correct this issue.

One of these here will be the cause if it acts up again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
CLOSE OUT CALL
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

I will send this in to cancel the call.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete