Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 6.0 has engine…

Customer Question
I have a 2013 Chevy...
I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 6.0 has engine in it. Sometimes the engine will run smooth as can be and then I’ll shut it off and when I crank it back up it is sputtering and barely working enough to stay on. I’ve changed the throttle body on it and checked the pedal throttle sensor visually and with a scanner. Both of those seem to be working. The fuel pump seems to be working because even when it starts sputtering and spattered, it still maintains 60 psi fuel pressure so I don’t think it’s the fuel pump. It seems to me that bad spark plugs and wires wouldn’t be so erratic. I had one person tell me the lifters can be bad about sticking on these and it can cause the engine to misfire and Sputter. Any thoughts ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/27/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Does this engine have AFM as an option?

Gary

How do I find out if it does?

AFM, (Active Fuel Management) , or the original name DOD (Displacement On Demand) turns the engine from 8 to 4 cylinder operation while light throttle cruising.

Some 6.0 litres have this, some even have the hardware but software not enabled. The easiest way to tell is if it has a 5 pin flat connector at the back of the valley plate under the intake manifold. It is connected to the VLOM (Valve Lifter Oil Manifold).

Can you check this?

LS engines have most of their failures in the valvetrain.

Gary

I will check it. If this were the problem, would it make sense for it to sometimes run smooth and other times run poorly?

Yes, if it has this feature the VLOM could be faulty.

There are revised VLOMs available from your GM dealer.

Gary

After looking at it more, the engine does not have afm. There is no connector five pin connector on the valley plate. We actually recently replaced the motor and here is a picture of the old motor.

Was it running like this before the engine swap?

Is the new engine, a remanufactured or 2nd hand, and if so, out of what vehicle?

Gary

I’m not sure right now but I felt around on the back of the engine near the oil pressure sensor and I didn’t feel
A fife pin connector at all.

Gary

When I got the vehicle it had a blown engine. It’s a 2nd hand swap with 70,000 miles on it

Have you driven this one after the swap?

Rough only at idle?

Does the engine light come on?

Gary

I have driven it. I for example drove it 3 miles and it drove smooth and then i turned it off. I turned it on again after about a minute and it ran smooth for a second and then started getting rougher and rougher. It just got worse and worse until it seemed like it was barely running and finally just shut off. I had a fuel pressure gauge on it though and the fuel pressure remained at 60 psi even as it got rougher and rougher.
I don’t think that it was the fuel pump even though it was acting almost as if it were not getting the needed fuel.
The check engine light comes on sometimes
But usually isn’t on when it runs rough. My scanner also do any show that it is necessarily misfiring when it is running rough. It’s an occasional misfire that it shows is all.
Sometimes it will idle fine but then when you go to give it gas it is gutless and the reaction time to reving up is delayed

Which set of injectors did you use?

And the throttle body?

Gary

The throttle body off the old one and I will check on the injectors.

I would have them cleaned if 2nd hand.

Gary

I figured out today that they are off
The original motor. Would I be able to tell if there is a problem with them by doing a fuel injector bleed test with my scanner and watch the fuel pressure as I do it?
also, what is the best way of cleaning them? Spray brake cleaner on them?

Yes, you can a cylinder balance test, which will show how well power balanced the engine is, compression, injector flow balance etc.

They need to be cleaned professionally, have you not done this before?

A mobile injector tech can do this.

Gary

I’ll try that. Could it also just be a bad ecu/pcm? It just seems odd to me that sometimes it runs perfectly fine, then I turn it off, then I turn it on and it runs rough. That to me almost seems
Like it would be more of an electronic issue. I’m still going to check the fuel injectors though. Am I still able to reprogram the ecu myself in these newer model chevys? Usually you can just turn the key on for 11 minutes off for 30 seconds and repeat the process three times until the security light goes off .

I would agree it sounds more electronic.

If this roughness only occurs at idle, it could be the throttle body control.

If your scan tool has the capability, I would do a throttle body test.

Had many that the blade will quiver in the first 30%, had a few with wiring harness issues to the throttle body, mainly short to ground.

Could be an ECM, but in nearly all cases, it should be setting codes.

Hope this helps your next step.

Gary

That makes sense. I did a throttle body sweep on it and that seemed to work just fine (I’m guessing that’s the throttle body test). Maybe I need to just keep trying it. I also changed the throttle body (I have a Chevy 1500 with a 4.8 engine) and it still acted up. So I’m guessing that it is a good throttle body. But maybe the wiring is bad. How do I find a short to ground?

The test I use with Tech2 is to allow you to watch the blade while you command it open in steps of 10%. The blade should remain steady at each step.

When the throttle body goes faulty, the early part fails first.

I had one that would log throttle body code, rough idle etc intermittently.

Throttle body change, no different.

Data display showed 27% at idle.

So then a physical inspection of the wiring harness starting at the throttle body, I found harness rub through at the intake manifold.

Does yours log any codes?

Gary

I’m going to check all of that. I went ahead and got a new ecm pcm out of another 2013 Chevy 2500. Is there any special programming that will need to b done to it or can it just be programmed like older gm ecms by turning the key on and letting sit for 10 minutes and repeating the process until the lock light goes off?

You can try that, honestly I don't know with 2010 onwards.

An ECM needs to be unlinked (prepare for removal) is the laptop procedure, from a vehicle, before it can go into another vehicle.

So you may need a GM dealer involved soon.

Gary