Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cigarette lighters dont work fuse is good replaced those…

Customer Question
Cigarette lighters dont work...

Cigarette lighters dont work fuse is good replaced those also replaced the lighters themselves they worked briefly and then stopped. Either one or other would work. No neither one work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 chevy cavalier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the cigarette lighters themselves, replaced the fuses in the fuse box on the interior of the car.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/27/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned you will receive a system automated call request, that is not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Also I am not paid hourly by just answers, I am only paid when you rate me, so if you could please respect my time and knowledge by rating me when we are finished that would be wonderful. If you could please indicate your level of experience and what you are looking to get out of your session today. Ok lets get started! Have you verified power and ground yet at the socket?

My experience is amateur. Looking to understand why my lighters aren't working in a 2005 Chevy cavalier. I've replaced the lighter themselves, and also replaced the immediate wiring closest to the harness. The lighter sockets are getting power but only erratically. I am now wondering of the ground wire is an issue. I see the black ground wire but am having a very hard time tracing it. I am unsure where it leads to check it at the source.

if the power is erratic then thats going to be a issue, have you checked it further back in the circuit ?

I have. I haven't seen any physical cuts or breaks in the circuit. I've tried to follow the circuit and found no issue. I have replaced the fuse with another because I found it kept blowing when the lighter did work every so often.
I have. I haven't seen any physical cuts or breaks in the circuit. I've tried to follow the circuit and found no issue.
I have. I haven't seen any physical cuts or breaks in the circuit. I've tried to follow the circuit and found no issue. Other than the fact the wiring is just old.

if you unplug the socket and monitor the voltage at the fuse is it erratic as well?

Voltage is constant.

when your checking voltage at the socket what are you using for your ground and what testing equipment are you using?

Actually Shawn I don't have anything to check the voltage. More so the fuses light up when in use and I plug my lighters into the harness and rest them. My drivers side lighter works. But my passenger side lighter does not. I also found my 20fuse kept blowing. Sino replaced it with a 30. It's been working fine on the drivers side now. But it's the passenger side lighter that does work.

we need to get something to get actual voltage numbers a voltmeter would be best for this situation

Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago

did you ever get a meter?