Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Turning over but wont start. I have they are clean. Sounds…

Turning over but wont...

Turning over but wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I have they are clean. Sounds like either fuel pump or coil pack maybe

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2002 express 3500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just now looking at it pulled the dog house checked the battery cables

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

3/27/2018
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

What engine is in your Van? Gas? Diesel?

What size of engine?

Is the check engine light on as you turn the key on?

Gas, cant remember size no check engine light

OK, the check engine light should turn on when you turn the key on, then go out once started if there are no issues. The fact you have no check engine light could mean a power issue, ignition switch issue fuse issue.

So to start with, check all fuses in both fuse blocks. If the are all good, the lets check the ignition switch.

Pop the tilt lever out and take the lower trim of the column off. With your multimeter set to DC volts, place the red lead on the red wire. With the switch turned on, test the other leads with the black wire. Record the reading and let me know what those are. Repeat the test on the red/white wire. Let me know the results.

When i turn it over there is a service engine soon ligjht that comes on

Ok, so next do you hear the fuel pump in the tank? If no, can you have someone crank the engine while you hit the bottom of the fuel tank HARD?

Also getting spark from coil pack to distributer okwill do that next

If you can hear the fuel pump, try spraying some fuel into the intake, IF it fires, then you we have a fuel issue.

If it does not, check your distributor cap and rotor. This may be corrosion inside causing a cross fire and preventing the spark from going in the right cylinder.

It started when banging fuel tank

Ok, replace your fuel pump and filter!!.

Ok thank you for your help

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have. Again if you need further information, please use the Reply/Continue Conversation link to ask for more help and I would be happy to assist you further. You do not need to give a negative rating or relist the question to get more help :)

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
5