Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 captiva 3.0 very rough idle missing fire cylinder 2 and…

Customer Question
2012 captiva 3.0 very rough idle missing...
2012 captiva 3.0
very rough idle
missing fire cylinder 2 and 5
coils
spark plugs
all good
i have sparking on cylinder 2 and 5 when i lift it
i'm thinking is something with the time chain or mechanical problem inside .
what you thing ?
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 29 days ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you removed the spark plugs and ran a compression test to see what the compression is on the misfiring cylinders compared to the known good cylinders?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
all compression ok

Okay if that is the case then its not likely a timing concern. In order for the cylinders to fire properly, you need a good spark, injector pulse and good compression. If the spark is okay as well as compression, have you verified that you have injector pulse?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no checked
but the cylinders will fire up on hi rpm and some times on idle
it like the ecm trying to adjust the timer

Are you getting any fault codes?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
p0300
p2096
p0172
p2098

The codes P2096 and P2098, as well as P0172, are all lean codes usually set due to an engine vacuum leak and that can cause the random misfire code P0300 as well as the engine to misfire. Have you checked to see if there are any vacuum leaks?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
not yet
this vehicle came from other shop
i only do electrical here
they said that tested everything ,
but i can asking if they did
also those codes came on from the other chop
i will do a chort test drive tomorrow to see the real codes
than let you know
thanksi'm just trying to cut the time if you have some goo tips

If it's been messed with by another shop then it would be a good idea to clear these codes and drive it as you mentioned and see what else come up. These codes do point to a lean engine condition so I would suspect you may have a vacuum leak.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
hi
i have no code yet
but the mechanic said that when the car came it had only cylinder 6 missing fire
than he replaced the coil , spark plugs, and injector , and after that now it has no missing on 6 but number 2 and 5
i told him to switch the 5 and 2 to see if that moves
than let you know
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 28 days ago

Okay, that's what I would do as well. Let me know how it goes.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician