Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I removed the dash and disconnected the necessary wiring to…

Customer Question
I removed the dash...

I removed the dash and disconnected the necessary wiring to replace the heater core and the turn signal switch, After reassembly when I try to start the engine, it starts and dies as soon as I relax the key to the ignition position. I also have been able to get no signal of connection to my OBD reader, It is a S10 4WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

P Park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 S10 4WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked my wiring connection blocks, I have checked all of the fuses in both locations with a continuity tester and tried to get a reqding from my OBD scanner

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I know

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Chevy
3/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 25 days ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

It would seem that you might have damaged a wire in the communications circuit, if you have no communication on the scan tool. This communication circuit is also how the theft deterrent delivers the password ***** make the engine run.

If this were in my shop, I'd have a more powerful scan tool on it, to see if I could communicate with any modules at all, but you probably only have a simple code reader, so we won't be able to do anything like that.

Have you checked all of the fuses to make sure they all have power and they're all good? I use a test light for this purpose.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have checked the fuses with a continuity tester but not with a test light to assure that they all have power. I will do that later this evening or tomorrow. Is it likely that I could rent a better Scan tool. I have a Zurich ZR11

They may have one at places like Autozone and Advance that you can use/borrow. I don't know what the capabilities are of those devices, though.

Thinking back, were there any trouble areas during the replacement? Any connectors or harnesses that gave you trouble?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No

OK.

All of the computers in the truck use one circuit to communicate between each other. This is known as the class 2 data bus. They send messages to each other constantly, and if the data bus goes down, all communications stops. If the circuit is grounded, all communications stops.

Fortunately, GM gave us a way to take this circuit apart and isolate each individual module. I can walk you through this, if you are inclined to get a multimeter and some other tools out and figure this out.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have finished for the day and will think about this overnight and possibly check back tomorrow.

OK, let me know if you want to proceed with the diagnostic work.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 21 days ago

Did you figure this out?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician