Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

06 trailblazer intermittent starting problem. Car starts for…

Customer Question
06 trailblazer intermittent starting...

06 trailblazer intermittent starting problem. Car starts for days then won't start for hours/ days. When it won

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Mechanic says the battery, cables and starter is good. When it doesn

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

When it doesn't start, it turns over for 2-3 seconds then nothing, when I release the key it sounds like it tries to turn over again. How ever the tack shows the rpm 2-3 hundred when it tries to start, then 0 after 2-3 seconds, then when I release the key(take it out of start position) the tack rpm shows negative (goes below 0). Any ideas?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The most common fault I have seen cause this type of fault here is the electronic ignition switch itself.This is not the key cylinder but instead the electrical switch the key cylinder activates when turning on the key and cranking over the engine to start it.With what you have described here on what has been checked already and with what is occurring it sounds like the electronic ignition switch is acting up in your vehicle.This was the most common cause of this fault.They were so common I believe the switch part that you need from a dealer is around $15.

I would have the signals tested by the ignition switch itself to verify that it needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

My messages seem to be sent prior my finishing the comment. You suggested the ignition switch.
This also was tested and showed good by the mechanic. Along with the battery & cables, starter, starter relays, grounds, voltages, pcm/ecm but did not reprogram the proms. The only code that shows is the last oxygen sensor in the exhaust. This sensor was replaced but still shows the same code. Maybe a bad sensor. Shouldn't be a starting problem. Since the problem is intermittent it is hard to locate. I have read that Trailblazer are giving nightmare to people with electrical problems. Looks like I might have one.
No, I do not have the car. I am only looking for information that I can forward to the mechanic.

Is the starter always engaging to crank over the engine with this fault but the engine is not starting at all when this occurs?

When the car doesn't start the starter always cranks for 2-3 seconds and then stops. When I release the key it sounds like it tries to start again. As I stated in my previous message that the tack shows the rpm going below zero. This leads me to think the fly wheel is going backwards or whatever sensor it uses. This also only happens for 2-3 seconds. The mechanic has tried all the obvious and more ideas. I knew this was a long shot but I thought it was worth a try. I was hopping that you had seen this before and could had maybe a easy solution.

Is there an after market theft or security system or remote start installed at all?

Factory security and no remote start

Can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here?

4.3 Iiter. I don't think this going anywhere. I think I will just take the car to another mechanic and see it he can fix the starting problem.

The only thing I see that would cause the rpm needle to act up like this as well as the crank then non crank and starting issue with all that is checked here is a fault in the PCM ( engine computer).If it has developed an internal electrical fault it can cause this issue here.Since the ignition switch was already tested and found o.k. I suspect the PCM is causing this fault with it needing to be replaced.You will want to have this tested to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete