Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 suburban, hooked up jumper cables opposite, now

2004 suburban , hooked...

2004 suburban , hooked up jumper cables opposite, now everything is dead, trying to locate what fuse melted

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Chevrolet Suburban. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No, just that I am stupid

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

No worries about hooking the cables up backwards. This happens all the time. One of my ASE master mechanics in my shop fried a $300 jumper box last week hooking it up backwards.

First, do you have a multimeter or test light to so some testing?

not at vehicle now, I am at my work, hoping for advice that I can take home with me, when I get home. was looking for a specific fuse that was designed to melt for this occasion

If you see a phone call pop-up that's not me. It's automated. We can work this out here pretty easily.

Normally what melts is either the megafuse (the one that all of the power runs through) or the alternator fuse (the one that most of the power runs through). Both are located in the underhood fuse box on the driver's side fender.

thanks, ***** ***** for a fuse that was labeled "mega fuse" in the underhood fusebox diagram in the owner's maual. Nothing in the underhood fusebox is lableled as "mega"
the megafuse is underneath the other fuses?

Once you get that cover off you will see it on the front side of the fuse box (between the fuse box and the battery).

It's not under the other fuses, just under that plastic cover.

OK Jared, I will certainly find it then. Thank you for the help. Have a great day

Just to make sure I'm, not being confusing, the fuse box itself has a lid- that comes off of course, but then under that lid is a plastic cover thing and it has to come off also- as shown in that diagram I sent.

Please let me know if you need more info once you get in there. I'll be here to help as long as you need.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician