Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Having trouble removing key from ignition on 2010 impala. Is…

Customer Question
Having trouble removing key...

Having trouble removing key from ignition on 2010 impala. Is there a known Problem. If you jiggle shifter key comes out. Afraid that some day it won't and it is my collage sons car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

NO clue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have done nothing to date. Waiting for chevy dealer to call me back. Do not want this kid to get ripped off.. Especially if it is a known problem and GM could or would cover it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Please be good to mom and help her help her son.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
3/26/2018
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

There is a system that interlocks the shifter and the key, and it probably needs some adjustment or repair. GM isn't going to cover it on an 8 year old car, that's pretty much out of the question. If there was a recall campaign, they would, but there isn't one for this concern.

It should be a matter of a simple cable adjustment to get this resolved for you, but I'm confident that the dealer will charge you for this service. I would think that the charge wouldn't be more than $100, though.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.